Saturday, July 7, 2012

Gone Fishin' (for compliments)

In light of a recent premiere which got shred to pieces in the press (not moi, mind you, just in general), I thought it was time to finally finish this little ditty. It was written sometime in May, and filmed during a heatwave in Frankfurt. The weather hasn’t been nearly as nice since, nor have I been in need of a compliment. Things have been going well.
But it’s always good to have a song like this ready for a rainy day when nothing seems to be going your way.



Big ol’ fish in a little ol’ sea

it was like swimming in the kiddie pool, full of pee
so i ventured out seeking treasure in the ocean.
Now I’m a little ol’ fish in a dog-eat-dog world
The things some people say could make your nose-hairs curl
Spoutin’ out opinions every time they have the notion.
Your guitar’s out of tune, your voice is too squeaky
you act kinda weird, and you dress kinda freaky.
These unsolicited points of view are really starting to bore me.
So do me favor, if you’d be so kind.
I’m gonna step out for bit, if you don’t mind
Here’s what you can say to anyone looking for me:
Tell ‘em I’ve gone fishin’ for compliments,
hang a sign up out on the wall:
“Gone Fishin’ for compliments”
If you can’t say something nice
don’t say nothing at all.
Got my bait and my tackle, but nothing’s bitin’
I don’t care, i’ll just stay here, I don’t feel like fightin’
Not going to fall for it - hook, line nor sinker
I’m gonna stay right here ‘til I’m out of worms
playing by my rules, making my own terms
and if you don’t like it, well then, you’re just a stinker
Yeah, I’ve gone fishin’ for compliments,
hung a sign up out on the wall:
Gone Fishin’ for compliments,
if you can’t say something nice
don’t say nothing at all. 

1 comment: