Friday, August 6, 2010

GBGC Top 40 Countdown: T-22, The Dottie Song (A GBGC Original)

So I've been doing this for 10 days in a row now. TEN DAYS! The making of a GBGC video can take anywhere from one-half to eight hours. Before the process even begins, I have to decide on a song. Then afterwards, there's waiting for it to upload, entering all the information on YouTube, formatting the blog entry itself, promoting it by posting it on facebook and sometimes other sites.... It's quite a commitment. 

Yesterday - and I get this a lot - someone I know was asking me about the GBGC, then she said something along the lines of, "Oh, so that's what people who don't have kids do with their time." I confess I did not react with excess poise when I retorted, "That doesn't mean that I wouldn't rather have children." I hope she didn't take offense, because none was intended. I'm sure if I had children, I would organize my time differently, but I don't, so I won't. 

The GBGC is, at least for the time being, my baby. I created it, I brought it into this world, and I made a promise to myself nine days ago that I would make one video everyday until my birthday (T-22! Will I make it?). Of course it's different than the responsibilities of parents who have to make sure their little ones are fed, bathed, clothed, educated, informed, loved and protected. But I have been a very good parent to my Bad Guitar Channel. I strive for perfection -- totally "flawsome" perfection, that is (see GBGC #7). Over the past three months I have been compassionate, honest, sociopolitical, journalistic, poetic, comical, and sometimes even musical.

I have said I would do a lot of things over the years, and for the first time I am actually achieving one of them - and it's not nearly as easy as it may look (in fact, for some unknown reason, the first uploading attempt didn’t work). Today's installment portrays that quite well. I thought of settling for less many, MANY times today, but I kept going until the job was done, until my harshest critic was satisfied. I don't even brush my teeth with as much care, and that's probably far more important in the long run. Who shall say?

I'm very proud of myself for sticking to it, pulling through even though I don't always want to. I guess that's what good parents do, too.

For that and many other reasons, I think this video is my personal favorite thus far.

8 comments:

  1. christine. ehrlich. du bist ein genie. ich hab mich kaputtgelacht. warum bist du nicht im fernsehen? warum bist du nicht berühmt, ich meine, so richtig. du bist die beste.netta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Grace. Someone should indeed have pity for poor Dottie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you mean to entertain people irrespective of your personal motives.... I think u have been successful... Atleast I vote for it :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I was dotty, I would start smoking... :O

    ReplyDelete
  5. Frida, I don't know who you are, but I love you. That's high-larious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember this one - outtakes are the best part! Ever consider doing an "All Outtakes" one? Outtakes from various songs, etc - would be a bit hit I bet =)

    ReplyDelete