Friday, August 27, 2010

GBGC Top 40 Countdown: T-1, Running Up That Hill. Still running...


So I’ve reached the last day of my personal 30-day challenge. I set out to make one Bad Guitar video per day until my birthday, and my birthday is tomorrow (so, depending on how you look at it, I might have to make one more). First of all, I can’t believe I’ve pulled it off. Nobody is paying me to do it. Nobody really would have cared (or noticed) if I had skipped a day. There are many things which I’ve pushed aside in order to achieve this one goal (mostly mundane housework things, but my yoga has also suffered), and if I haven’t been able to push something aside, I’ve simply included it in the video (building IKEA furniture, going on a wee trip to the wine festival, etc.).
The last one was the toughest one, though. Up till now, I’ve just taken the ideas as they came to me. But today, I felt I had to pick a song which was more meaningful or appropriate for the cause. The truth of the matter is, I had no inspiration whatsoever. Although “Running Up That Hill” is quite a fitting anthem for what everyone is searching for in this long life, a greater understanding, I still don’t think it sums up my 40 years in a nutshell. Also, I found it nearly impossible to grasp the form and the changes so, like many people on YouTube, I just sort of made up my own version. But not without a fight. 
At the time of writing, I also have the feeling that I have to say something especially poignant to sum up the experience. That may come later, but today is just another day. And I suppose tomorrow will be, too.


5 comments:

  1. Congratulations Christine for keeping your goals and fighting adversity to make them come true. You should feel very proud of yourself, I do! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to mention that you also made me travel with your music through a wide range of emotions, I enjoyed your challenge very much. Thanks for the effort, for the feeling... thank you for the music :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, and happy birthday, it is the time of your life! But that, will come later ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did the song justice. There is a quote by Kate about cover songs, I can't find it at the moment, but she says something about making the song your own, and you did that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes indeed, Happy Birthday. Think about how people from around the world joined together to send you greetings 'cause they love you. Doesn't make 40 any better but just think about it ;)

    ReplyDelete